Friday, December 28, 2007

Blogging in 2008!

Wow, I'm learning to blog and do my best to keep up with technology. This is a difficult task, but it doesn't have to be. I can Google all of my questions to find most of my answers. I don't have to wait for my children to show me or do it for it. Google let's me keep my independence and feel somewhat smart. (Did you click on the underlined Google?)

So why am I telling you this? Blogging has come of age and has become a world passion. You can talk about your favorite hobby, pasttime, or anything that comes to mind. I find blogging to be beneficial tool to promote interesting topics. Small businesses can use blogging to promote their services, churches can you blogging to spread the Word, and the best thing is that you can add links to your blogs providing a multitude of networking opportunities.

I can write and publish security articles in my local newspapers and instantly upload the same article to my blog and website reaching millions of people. But there is one problem, no one is reading my articles because no knows about my website or blog. I have to spread the word and join other blogs and advertise my services. So as I learn to blog, you will learn right along with me. To help spread the word, I've added a GooglePage (click on the underlined "googlepage") so I can add .PDF files to my blogs. If you are a church leader, you may find my Church Security Newsletter of interest. I didn't know if I could link my .PDF file from this blog site, so typed into Google search "how to add a .pdf file". Guess what, I found and created myself a GooglePage. There may be a better and quicker way. But as I told you before, I'm learning. Stay tuned as I learn how to risk manage my blog and add video and MP3 how-to clips.

BTW - Happy 2008 and have a properous New Year!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog and was impressed with the basic simple information that churches can use to start protecting property.
The most important aspect that I think needs to be lifted up is the training of the members to see a need for security, since many of the rural churches still think it will not happen to them.
Good job on your first newsletter

Anonymous said...

Ophelia,
I am really excited that you're bringing in security and risk management approach to technology infrastructure maintained by churches. I am concerned about privacy of data stored in non-profit organization specially in Churches and other community organization. How do I know the data that's stored by my Church is protected from hackers and no one is looking into it ?

NA said...

Excellent information! Risk Management for churches is a component that will only enhance the day to day operations of churches, no matter how small or large the ministries are. This will also lend to the growth and stability of churches. Again, this was done in the spirit of excellence. Much success to you!

Ophelia Livingston said...

Anonymous,

Many churches and non-profit organizaitons have not merely sat down and mapped out the flow of their data to know where it is going. If a church or non-profits have skilled security advisor, that individual can perform an internal penetration test to test the hackability of its network. Another simple test is to verify that your organizaiton has added a firewall and that the firewall is running on the network, blocking unauthoritized traffic. If you have a wireless network, verify that Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) or WEP is activated on your network which encrypts the data in in your environment.

These are simple tests that can be performed to test the hackability of your network. If there aren't any internal security staff in your church, then you should ask a trained and qualified professional to perform a risk assessment on your network.